Monday, December 24, 2012

Chapter 5 - Kelly Kapowski & The Cougar

The next morning, we needed to return to Seattle. By tradition, we always went to the Forks coffee shop for breakfast. We did this every year because, as Dad put it, “Bella deserved a vacation from cooking after all her hard work“.

We packed up the hummer, and headed out in two vehicles. I rode with Dad in the patrol car.

“You seem really chipper today Bells.”

“I guess I am Dad. I kind of decided some stuff yesterday.”

“What kind of stuff?” He asked.

“Um, I decided I want to be happy.”

It was a simple statement, but the significance of it was enormous.

Charlie was quiet for a long moment, then he cleared his throat.

“You know Bells, that’s all that any parent wants for their child.” His voice broke on the last word.

I understood. He was giving me permission to be happy. He was telling me that Mom wants me to be happy.

It’s amazing how much we always understood each other. Charlie took my hand, and held it on the console between us all the way to the coffee shop.

We sat in my favorite booth, by the window.

Emmett had decided to wear his ‘I French Kissed Kelly Kapowski’ t-shirt, earning him grins and chuckles from the unlikeliest people.

Who would’ve thought there were so many ‘Saved by the Bell’ fans in Forks?

He also had to sign a few autographs, and pose for a few pictures with the locals.

As we were leaving the diner, Margie, our favorite waitress, forced us to take two boxes, one for us, one for Charlie. We thanked her and exchanged hugs all around, saying goodbye to Dad before piling into the hummer to head back to Seattle.

I peeked in our box, “Mmmmm, Cheesecake.”

“Dibs!” shouted Emmett.

-------------------V&V---------------------


The ride home was relatively uneventful until we were about 30 minutes from Seattle.

“You know, I almost forgot one of your presents Bellaboo!”

To say that I trusted Emmett would have been a lie. He was up to something.

“Okay, I’ll bite. What gift did you forget to give me Emmett?”

“Why, I’m pleased you asked Bells. I have a special delivery of those farts you ordered.”

Then he proceeded to attempt to kill Rose and I with his noxious fumes.

“Emmett!” screamed Rose, when she could finally breathe again. “I warned you, but I can’t throw you out of a moving vehicle. I hope you enjoyed last night, because you are sleeping in the guest room for a week!“

“Oh Rosie, don’t be like that, I was just playing around.” He whined.

“Shut it gas bag, my decision is final.”

Even Emmett knew not to mess with Rose when she was this angry.

-----------V&V----------

The rest of the weekend went by quickly. The closer it got to Monday, though, the more nervous I got.

I hung around my apartment, over-thinking everything. I did manage to hang my new oil painting on the dining room wall, it was beautiful.

After our meal of leftover lasagna, the car arrived to drive Emmett to the airport.

I received another text from Edward before going to bed on Saturday night.

The next morning, Rose went with me to Mass at the Cathedral. This was something new, but I was really happy I didn’t have to go alone.

When we got back, we watched Emmett’s game. He played very well but, unfortunately the rest of the team didn’t. They lost 48 to 10.

Ordinarily, Rose and I would have gone to Wisconsin to cheer him on, but because of the Masen interview, we decided to stay here.

I turned in early, it had been a long weekend after all. I showered and dried my hair, and crawled into bed.

My cell phone was charging on the nightstand, and I noticed that the message light was blinking. I must have missed it while I was in the shower.

Beautiful Bella-


Looking forward to tomorrow. A car will arrive at 9am to pick you up. Pleasant dreams.


-E

Controlling much? Sending a car? What?

Because it was too late to argue, I decided not to fight it and just be gracious. The next three days should be pretty interesting.

 

E-


Thank you. I’ll see you then.


Goodnight.


-B


----------V&V----------


I barely got any sleep that night. Thankfully, it wasn’t because of my usual nightmares. I tossed and turned and dreamt of beautiful green eyes and tousled bronze hair instead.

I got up early and proceeded to change my mind fifteen times about what to wear. I finally decided on a cute little peach sleeveless dress, coupled with a tan cardigan so I wouldn’t freeze. Not too flirty, but not too conservative either.

I was ready to go by 8:30. Rose had headed out early, so we didn’t even have coffee together. I knew that Emmett had arrived home late last night, but I had yet to see him.

By 9am, I was sitting on my couch, bundled up in my coat, hat and gloves. I couldn‘t stop my leg from bouncing. My nerves in total control.

Finally Pete, the doorman, buzzed up to tell me that there was a car waiting.

On the ride to the hotel, I tried to calm myself by reading over the notes that Rose and I had made. Before I knew it, I was at the hotel and knocking at Edward’s door.

He opened it, and gazed at me, lost in thought for a moment.

“Um, hi Edward, are you going to let me in?”

He relaxed and smiled, “Of course, forgive me Bella, please come in.”

I placed my things on the coffee table, and stood, waiting for Edward’s instructions.

“Bella, please have a seat, we can go over my itinerary for the week.”

I took a seat on the sofa. Edward came to sit beside me, papers in hand.

The bulk of the interview was going to be done today. At about 11 o’clock, the camera crew would arrive to set up.

After lunch, Rose would be here to do the actual interview.

That was all that was scheduled for today. The next two days were filled with clothing fittings, more interview with Rose on location in Seattle, and a photo shoot on Wednesday.

Edward decided that while we waited for the camera crew to arrive, we could get to know each other better.

“Well, Bella. Here we are again.” His mood had turned downright cheerful.

I couldn’t help but smile at him. I was getting better at keeping my composure when he was around, as long as he didn’t touch me.

Not that his touch would upset me, quite the opposite.

“I think we left a few questions unanswered last time we were together.”

“And what questions would you be referring to Edward?” I could feel myself getting nervous.

“I know you want to be a writer. I’m a great believer in being able to judge a writer by their preferred authors. So who are they? Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, who are your favorites?”

“I love those you mentioned, and do count them among my favorites. But I would have to include Charles Dickens, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Thomas Hardy, Tolstoy, I’d also have to include the writings of Saint Augustine, and Saint Thomas More, the list goes on and on.”

“That’s impressive.” And I had to admit that he looked impressed. “I happen to enjoy the works of those authors also.” He stated.

“My favorite may surprise you Edward.” I said with a smug smile.

“Hmm. Let me guess. Could it be the woman who has written the series of vampire novels that are all the rage right now?” He asked with a smirk.

“No, not my favorite, although I enjoy that series immensely. If they ever make them into movies, I could even picture you in the lead role.” I grinned at him mischievously.

This statement brought forth a chuckle from Edward’s lips. “I’d never say I wouldn’t do it. For me, it always depends on the strength of the script. If they sent it to me for consideration, I‘d definitely read it” he answered. “So, you never said who your favorite is.”

“J. R. R. Tolkien.” I replied, the reverence evident in my tone. “If Middle Earth was a real place, I would give anything to go there.” I added quietly.

“ I re-read the Lord of the Rings every couple of years, and am literally pulled into the story and live there until I finish.”

“I have to admit that it’s not what I expected. Not for a girl anyway.“ He said teasingly. “It’s one of my favorites also.”

“So what about Middle Earth intrigues you so much Bella?” He questioned.

“In that world, even though there is a fair share of tragedy, good ultimately conquers evil. And once evil is utterly vanquished, the main character is able to escape his pain in the undying lands.”

“A place where all pain, sorrow, and memory of evil is forgotten. A place of complete peace and happiness.” I murmured.

“Bella, you just described heaven.” He said sadly.

“Hm, I guess I did, or the undying lands of Tolkien‘s world. I just like the idea of not having to go through death to get there I suppose.” I shrugged, trying to lighten the mood.

He studied me sadly. “Bella, forgive me for asking, but what is it that haunts you? I can see it in your eyes, and I wish I could understand.”

“Have Alice or Jasper told you anything about me Edward?” I asked, fearful of his answer.

“Alice didn’t know you until last week, and all that Jasper told us was that you were a wonderful girl. He did mention that you and Emmett lost your mother several years ago, and that it was traumatic, but that’s all. I honestly don’t think he knows any more than what he said.”

Bless Rose. I love her even more. She didn’t tell my secrets, not even to her brother.

“Edward” I said as I cleared my throat. “I’m not ready to tell you everything yet, maybe soon, but not yet.” My voice getting a little stronger.

“When you’re ready Bella.” He smiled softly.

We were both quiet for a moment.

“Tell me about your father. What does he do?” He asked, changing the subject slightly.

“Charlie is the Chief of Police in Forks.” I stated matter-of-factly.

“No kidding?” he asked, amused.

“Was it hard being the Chief of Police’s daughter?” He asked with a smile.

“No. Everyone pretty much left me alone.”

More alone than you can imagine Edward. They were afraid to even talk to me after witnessing one too many of my ‘meltdowns’.

I was still feeling a little uncomfortable about the previous conversation, and tried to steer things in a more non-threatening direction.

“Edward, not to change the subject, but shouldn’t I be working, you know, as your personal assistant.”

“Bella, there isn’t much to do. Remember I’m on vacation this week.”

“Edward, I’m confused, then why have me here?”

He cleared his throat. “I have a bit of a confession.”

“Okay.”

“I didn’t anticipate needing an assistant this week, but when Rosalie offered, I found myself unable to refuse.”

“Like I told you last week, ever since I met you, I feel drawn to you. I thought if I spent time with you I would be able to put the need to rest, but instead of diminishing, it seems to be growing.”

He feels the same attraction that I do. I’m feeling overwhelmed with….happiness?

I wanted to squee. Edward Masen was actually attracted to me. The man who, according to a recent poll by Cosmopolitan, most married women admitted they would pay large sums of money to have one night of dirty sex with. Not to mention the single women. Edward Masen, the owner of the face that launched a thousand vibrators.

“I don’t know if I can stay away from you anymore.” He stated simply.

“Then don’t” I answered.

He looked surprised, but hopeful.

We both exhaled and relaxed. The elephant that had taken up residence in the room had finally been addressed.

What followed next was a barrage of questions thrown from one to the other. Edward especially was ravenous for information about me. I was a little more reserved in my questions, afraid of what I would hear.

“Middle name?” He asked with a smile.

“Marie, named for my Dad’s mother, Marie Swan.”

“Anthony, named for my Mom’s father, Anthony Masen.”

We both smiled.

“Coffee or tea?” I asked him seriously. He thought about it. “I definitely prefer coffee, but I like tea occasionally. You?”

“With slight trepidation I’d have to say I prefer tea.” I whispered. “That’s not something you want to broadcast when living in Seattle.”

He chuckled.

“Dream car?”

“Easy. My dream car is a 1965 Mustang convertible, poppy red exterior, white top, white pony interior. Either 4 speed or automatic, I wouldn‘t care.” I stated without taking a breath.

“Wow. I‘m shocked.” He did have a stunned look on his face.

“Why?”

“I don‘t know, I expected a more predictably feminine answer like ‘something sporty and blue‘, or ‘shiny and expensive‘.” he spoke in a mocking falsetto, and laughed.

I smacked his arm. “Edward, how very chauvinistic of you. Haven‘t you learned by now that I‘m anything but predictable?” I said, laughing with him.

He was still chuckling when he grabbed my hand and held it. “Oh Miss Swan, I’m becoming more and more aware of that.”

“Please tell me how you know so much about cars?”

“If Rosalie didn’t love her job, I’m certain she’d be running a car restoration business by now. Emmett loves it that she knows more about cars than he does. He thinks it’s sexy, although the word he used was fuckhot.“ I giggled.

“Rose has dragged me with her to almost every car show held on the west coast in the last few years. I have learned more than I ever wanted to know about every type of car. But I also learned what I like.” I smiled remembering how Rose acted so much like Emmett when she was around automobiles.

“I even went with her to a Barrett Jackson auction a couple of years ago. I thought Rose was going to need oxygen when she saw the Corvette ZR-1.”

“I’m also very ashamed to admit that when that car sold for a million dollars, I’m pretty sure I was a witness to Rose’s “O” face.” I said sheepishly.

This sent Edward into hysterics, which I couldn’t help but join in. After a few minutes we were both in control again.

“Alice is like that about fashion. She has forced me on more than one occasion to attend shows with her. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I still haven’t learned anything.”

“And I’m eternally grateful that, now that she’s married, it will be Jasper that she forces to go with her.”

We both laughed.

“You didn’t tell me your dream car Edward.”

Edward cleared his throat, looking a little guilty.

“Well, my dream car is an Aston Martin Vanquish.”

“That’s some vehicle Edward.” my eyes growing wide. “Why don’t you just buy one, you’re rich.”

“Actually, I did.” He answered, seeming a little embarrassed.

“That’s so cool! Wait til I tell Rose, she will freak. What color is it?” I asked enthusiastically.

“Um, the one in L.A. is black, and the one at my parent’s house is silver.”

He answered while shrugging one shoulder, still feeling awkward.

“Wow.” I was speechless. Until Emmett starting playing professional football, no one in my family made a significant amount of money at their jobs.

It was hard for me to imagine having so much expendable income that you could afford one Vanquish, let alone two. I was the child of a small town cop for cripes sakes. “Just wow.” I said again.

“Next question.” He spoke again “Favorite color?”

“Gosh, that’s such a simple one, but surprisingly hard to answer.” I admitted. “I have to say that it depends on my mood.” And as I gazed into his eyes I knew the answer “ Truth is that today I would have to say I’m strongly attracted to green.”

I heard Edward take in a short breath, and his face lost all humor.

“Well, since we’re answering truthfully, I’ll admit that I’m feeling quite partial to chocolate brown.”

We both sat looking into each others eyes for a long moment. Edward reached up and ran his fingers across my cheek, making me blush. I blinked and looked down.

“You fascinate me Bella. I didn’t know that I could be this attracted to anyone. Tell me you fee it too.”

“Yes, I feel it.” I answered quietly

This is a slippery slope Bella. I need to be careful where this leads.

We next talked about the things we most enjoy. I told Edward about the trips we’ve made as a family, and the ones we want to do.

“This summer, after my graduation, we are flying to Chicago, renting a car, and driving Route 66 from beginning to end, then driving up to Las Vegas where Charlie will meet us. We’ll spend a few days there and then fly home.”

I saw his eyes light up. “That sounds great Bella, I’ve always wanted to do something like that, just never found anyone else willing to go.”

Wow, sounds like he wants to come with. No, that would be beyond weird. Bella!!! He has a girlfriend. He can take her on a vacation.

“Yeah, Emmett’s totally stoked. He keeps researching things like ‘the biggest ball of yarn’ so we make sure to stop and see all the silly tourist things along the way.” I laughed. My brother lived every day with a ‘kid in a candy store’ mentality.

Before I knew it, the hour was over, and our intimate little bubble was burst by the arrival of the camera crew.

After a few minutes of watching the crew work, Edward decided this would be a good time to escape for lunch. We left the suite, heading for the hotel’s coffee shop.

I couldn’t stop giggling as I watched guests of the hotel, and employees alike do ‘double-takes’ when they saw Edward. It got weird though when any female under the age of sixty recognized him and started to flirt. They were quite aggressive sometimes, even reaching out to touch him.

Edward reacted very calmly, taking it in his stride.

When we were finally seated with our sandwich bagels, in a back booth of the coffee shop, I thought about Edward’s fans and chuckled to myself.

“What’s going on in that head of yours Isabella?“ He asked with a grin.

“I just wondered if it’s always like this for you? You know the fans fawning all over you.“

“For the most part, yes. At home I’ve found ways to dodge them. They notice me more when I’m dressed in Alice-approved clothing like now.”

“When I dress for comfort, and wear my baseball cap, I am a little more invisible.” He whispered conspiratorially.

We were just getting ready to return to the suite when I realized someone was approaching our table. I turned to see Camille, the forty-something make-up artist from the station.

I was surprised to see her, but more surprised when I noticed her attire. She always dressed a little “iffy” but today she outdid herself.

Is that a leopard-print catsuit? Seriously?

She looked like a ‘Peg Bundy’ throwback. No way could she think that’s attractive.

I glanced at Edward and realized that he wore the same stunned expression that I did.

And then she spoke.

“Hello Eddie” she purred “the camera men said you’d be down here. I need to get you back upstairs sweetie.” She said this loud enough for several patrons to hear. It was clear what she wanted them to think.

Eww. Really, what else was there to say?

I decided to take control of this situation. “Camille, if you needed us you should have called. My cell phone is in perfect working order.” Camille looked a little taken aback that I was even speaking to her.

“Mr. Masen and I will be returning to his suite momentarily so that you can do his makeup for the interview. Please wait there, we will join you shortly.”

Camille turned and walked away, clearly disappointed that I put her in her place.

Edward, still stunned, turned to me. “What was that?”

And then we both cracked up.

We were still laughing as we made our way back upstairs.

Camille’s behavior did not improve. We’d had celebrities at the station before, so you would think that she could have handled being around Edward. That simply wasn’t the case. She flirted with him constantly.

Edward was trapped while she applied his makeup. She made inappropriate remarks more than once.

She dropped her applicator brush onto his lap, I believe on purpose. It landed precariously close to his crotch, but when she went to grab it, Edward grabbed her wrist.

“If you don’t mind, I’ll get that.” He said through gritted teeth. I decided I’d had enough when Camille grazed the side of his head with her boobs.

“Camille, I need a word with you.” She looked surprised, but set down her things, and followed me into the hallway.

“I need you to understand that for the next few days, I’m working as Mr. Masen’s personal assistant.” She nodded and smiled leeringly.

“Lucky you” she purred “I’d like to personally assist him.”

Nasty wench, I’m thinking they invented the term ‘cougar’ just for her.

“In that capacity, I must warn you that your inappropriate behavior needs to cease immediately.” She looked stunned. For a moment I thought that maybe I’d used too many words above three syllables, and she didn’t understand.

I continued, “If you refuse to act in a professional manner around Mr. Masen, then I will be forced to demand, on his behalf, that you be replaced.”

I watched as her look changed from confused to comprehending.

“Wait a minute, are you threatening me?” she seethed.

“No, not if your behavior is amended.” I stated in my most businesslike tone.

“Look Swan, I’m going to do what you say, but only because Rose would have my ass if I did anything to you. All I’ll say is you better stay clear of me.” She was beyond angry, as she reached for the door.

“And Swan, you may as well give up trying to impress that man-candy inside, you would never be enough woman for someone like him. Leave it to those of use who know how to please a man.” Then she cackled like the witch-whore she was, and went back inside.

I stood in the hall for a moment, stunned.

She thought I was trying to impress Edward? Was I? What was I doing?

I was supposed to be working for him, but most of the time we had spent together felt like a date rather than a workday. I needed to fix this. Immediately.

I re-entered the suite with a new purpose. ‘Keep it professional Bella.’

I noticed a definite change in the atmosphere around Edward and Camille. She was doing her job the way I’d seen her do it a hundred times before. Properly.

Edward must have guessed what I’d done, and rewarded me with a grateful smile, and a wink.

Crap. So much for keeping it professional. He’s just too adorable. I can’t look at him.

So I proceeded to check over his schedule again.

Rose arrived a few minutes later, and Camille went to work on her.

----------V&V----------


“I feel that my fans have matured with me. Granted, they were very young in the beginning, but so was I. When I made my first movie, I was only eighteen.”

The interview was winding down, and I’d learned a lot about Edward’s view of the world and the movie industry but, as demanded, the questions steered away from his personal life completely.

I would just have to ask those on my own.

“Thanks so much Edward, I think that wraps it up for today.” Rose was standing while disconnecting her microphone. I ran over there to assist her and then helped Edward with his.

Edward reached out to shake her hand. “Thanks very much Rose. I appreciate your professionalism with sticking to the questions. I could tell you some tales about other interviews I‘ve done.”

“Oh really?” Rose seemed intrigued.

“It’s the reason I won’t grant interviews any more unless they are strictly associated with the promotion of a movie. Even with those, some over ambitious reporter will think they can cross the line.”

“I usually have a rep from the movie studio step in and shut the interview down when that happens. Suffice it to say that it’s now a rare occurrence. They‘d rather have a dull interview than no interview at all.”

Rose smiled. I knew that she had been itching to ‘cross the line’ as Edward put it, but Rose was very shrewd and realized that, in the end, it wouldn‘t be beneficial .

“Well, thanks again, and I’ll see you tomorrow.” Then turning to me she said “Bells, Emmett is at home, but I’m having dinner with one of our sponsors. You know, the usual kiss-ass, but I’m going to try for an early night.”

“I’ll see you later.” and I hugged her goodbye.

After everyone had left, I turned to say my goodbye to Edward.

Not realizing that he’d moved so that he was standing right behind me, I almost bumped into him.

“Edward, I’d better go..”

“Bella, I was just wondering…”

We both started talking at the same time, then we both laughed. “Go ahead Edward, you first” I grinned at him

“Well, Bella, I was just wondering if I could take you to dinner?”

I thought about this. Going out after working hours would feel too much like a ‘date’.

“I’m sorry Edward, I don’t think I should do that.” Sadness gripped my heart when I registered his disappointed expression.

Why does his disappointment affect me so much?

“How about I cook dinner for you? It’s safer than a public restaurant full of your adoring fans.” I smiled at him.

His answering smile was blinding. “Let me call for my driver.” He pulled out his cell phone. “Sidney, Miss Swan is ready to go home now. Thank you.”

He’s so formal, and kind of bossy. I like it.

“What time should I be at your place Bella?”

Could Edward’s smile get any bigger?

“About 6 o’clock I guess?”

What the hell am I going to cook?

“Do you like enchiladas?” I asked, trying to gather my wits.

“If you are making it, I’m sure it will be delicious.” He answered.

“Okay then, I’ll see you at six.” I smiled and walked toward the door.

Edward was close behind me.  He grasped my hand, holding it for a few seconds, and then let it go. “Goodbye Bella.” He said quietly.

No comments:

Post a Comment