Saturday, December 29, 2012

Chapter 3 - The Snowman & Midnight Mass


I was still a little dazed as I made my way through the grocery store.

I could easily fall for Edward Masen, or Cullen, or whatever. Yoohoo, Bella, did you forget he has a girlfriend? A very well-known girlfriend. And you are, sorry to remind you, a nobody.

 
Just like that my former happy mood disintegrated.

While I stood in the frozen food aisle, Rose texted to say she was just leaving work and should be back to the apartment in about twenty minutes. I texted back asking her to pick up the cannoli I had ordered from our favorite Italian bakery.

I booked through the checkout and headed toward the apartment building, reaching the elevators just as Rose arrived.

“Wow Bells, you were in the grocery store a long time.”

“Oh, I decided I was starving and grabbed some lunch first.” I said as I handed her a couple bags to carry, and we headed upstairs.

I already had a fresh batch of homemade spaghetti sauce in my fridge, so I had decided lasagne would be the best dinner choice.

I left Rose chopping vegetables for a salad in her kitchen, and went to mine to prepare the lasagne. Once it was in the oven, I went back over to Rose’s to make the garlic bread. She was on her phone when I got there.

“No, that should be fine. Jazz, I’m not a total bitch, I can be a good hostess. Okay, see you in a couple of hours.”

She looked at me and said the two words I never expected to hear.

“Masen’s coming.”

I worked robotically while making the garlic bread, trying not to think about what that man did to my insides.

Once all the food was prepped and/or ready, we went to get dressed. Everyone always said I looked good in blue, so I chose my favorite royal blue satin dress with a black sash.

I went back across the hall so Rose and I could do each other’s hair and makeup. Forty minutes later, we both looked sassy and fabulous. Well, Rose more so than me, but even I didn’t feel quite so plain.

I helped her straighten up their apartment, preparing for the guests. Her and Emmett’s apartment was enormous.

Originally, they wanted me to move in with them, but I didn’t want to impose on their time together, and I also didn’t want to be an up close and personal witness to their private life, ugh. So, I refused to move in with them, opting instead to take the little apartment across the hall that became available the summer before I started college.

Emmett insisted on paying my rent. After much begging and pleading I acquiesced, but made sure he knew that once I graduated and got a job, I would take over that bill.

Emmett arrived home as we worked.

He wolf whistled at us. “There are my two favorite girls looking gorgeous, bon chicka bow wow!“

We snickered as he headed back to shower and dress. He came out about fifteen minutes later looking like a model for GQ.

The tree was lit, as were all the other Christmas lights in the apartment. While Rose and I went around lighting all the candles, giving the space a warm Christmas glow, Emmett began rifling through his DVD collection.

“Emmett, we’ve got guests arriving in about fifteen minutes. Why are you looking through those?” Rose was starting to get a little stressed.

Emmett just gave her a cheesy grin. “I gotta watch it babe, it’s a tradition!”

“No Emmett, not tonight. You can break your tradition just this once.”

Emmett looked completely dejected, but wasn’t backing down.

“No, you don’t understand. If I don’t watch it, my Christmas will be ruined.” He whined.

Rose relented, and I realized at that moment how much she truly loved my brother.

“Okay, but I am NOT explaining to our company why my 28 year old boyfriend has to watch Frosty the Snowman instead of greeting guests at the door.”

“Hey babe, be glad that it’s Frosty’s night, if this was last night I’d be watching Rudolph, and you know that shit always makes me cry.”

Yes, my big goofball of a brother has a Christmas DVD favorite assigned to each night of the week from December 19th through 25th. Luckily, Rose made him limit his choices to seven, one DVD for each of those nights.

So far this Christmas, I’d already had to sit through Home Alone, the Grinch (the cartoon, not the movie), Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and of course Rudolph (last night while sobering up Rose). Tonight, it was Frosty’s turn.

Just as Frosty hopped on a freight train with Karen and Hocus Pocus, the doorbell rang. Rose got up, put on her most welcoming smile, and answered it.

She ushered everyone into the living room where I was sitting with Emmett. My breath caught when I glimpsed Edward in his suit.

Gosh, I thought he was gorgeous before.

 
Once again, the expression on his face seemed to mirror mine as he took in my appearance. “You look lovely Isabella.” he murmured.

How does that man manage to make me feel so pretty?

 
True to her word, Rosalie looked at Emmett (completely engrossed in the adventures of Frosty), and didn’t explain a thing.

Rather than stand there feeling awkward, I decided to take the initiative.

With a straight face I began “Emmett will be with us in a few moments. He has to watch this every year so he can be sure that the ending hasn’t changed. I believe he thinks that Frosty needs his moral support to make it safely to the north pole.”

Everyone looked from me to Emmett and back to me before bursting into laughter.

“Shhh.” my brother exclaimed “Have you no respect for Frosty’s dilemma, we’re at the point of no return here people.” he shouted as Karen cried over Frosty’s puddle.

This brought about a second round of laughter.

My brother, the ice-breaker.

 
When the show was finally over, and we’d all sung the closing song, at Emmett’s insistence. Emmett got up and shook hands with everyone, and became the perfect host. More importantly, he became the perfect bartender. I needed alcohol to survive this evening.

I placed my ipod in the port and started my Christmas play list. Soon the soothing sounds of a Sinatra Christmas were wafting through the apartment.

After my first rum and coke, I was feeling a lot better. By the time we sat down for dinner, and I was drinking my second one, I was brave enough to hold actual conversations with strangers.

I learned that Alice and Jasper were as easy to talk to as Edward. I kept having to remind myself that they lived in Hollywood because they were so down to earth.

I had met Jasper before, many times, but seeing him with Alice was hysterical. They’d been married for less than a year, but Alice was already finishing Jasper’s sentences.

As for Jasper, he watched Alice as she interacted with everyone else, and you could see the adoration in his eyes.

“So Bella, do you intend to stay in the Seattle area after graduation?” Alice asked me.

“I’m pretty sure I’ll stay in this area. Actually, I love to write, and was thinking about going into teaching because it would give me enough free time to pursue my writing.”

Wow, I can’t believe I just shared that with a roomful of people without feeling awkward.

Rose smiled at me, proud of my confidence, as she stepped into the kitchen to open the wine.

“You could do that anywhere Bella. Do you love the cold weather so much that you haven’t even thought of leaving? Or is it a young man keeping you in Seattle?” Alice asked with a grin.

I’m pretty sure Alice is only about three years older than me. Who says ‘young man’? She sounds like someone’s Grandma.

I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Edward tensed.

What the Hell did it matter to him if I had a boyfriend? Doesn’t he have a girlfriend, or twenty.

“No. No young man keeping me here, and I actually hate the cold. The only good thing about this time of the year is Christmas. After that, I’ll be living every day anxiously waiting for Spring to arrive. My favorite day of the year is when I see the first tulip in bloom.“

“Well, during Spring break, you could always come to California and stay with me and Jazz. We would have a great time, I could show you around the area.” She said as she practically bounced in her seat. “We could go shopping!”

Rose returned with the wine.

“Wow that’s so generous of you Alice, thanks.” But I didn’t say I would take her up on her offer.

“Bella, did Alice just invite you to California for spring break?” Rose asked.

“Yes” I glared at Rose, wanting her to drop the subject.

“What a fantastic idea. You should definitely go, there’s nothing keeping you here.” She deadpanned, looking me straight in the eye.

“Yay! Then it’s all set. Let’s exchange cell phone numbers, and you let me know the exact dates as soon as you can. I’m so excited!“

“By the way Bella, that color blue really suits you. I’ve sent several of my fabric creations to Rosalie. I’ll have some made up for you during your visit.“

What the fuck just happened? I thought I’d dodged this trip, and now I’m not only going, but I’m practically bff’s with Alice.

“I don’t know what to say. Thank you?” I answered nervously.

Edward is staring at me again. I can’t tell if he’s happy I’m going to California, or if he’s angry.

“No need to thank me. I’m really good at reading people, and I know we’re going to be great friends. I’ll come up with lots for us to do.” She stopped bouncing for a moment, and looked back and forth between me and Rose.

“As a matter of fact, if I could talk you and Rose into it, I’d love to have you both model for a magazine spread I‘ve got coming up. Maybe you could spare me a couple days during spring break too Rosalie?”

“That sounds fantastic Alice!” Rose answered excitedly.

“What?” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. “Alice, no, thank you, but no. I’m not exactly ‘model’ material.”

“Oh posh Bella, you obviously don’t see yourself clearly. You are a very stunning young woman. Believe me, I know these things, it’s what I do.” Alice replied.

“You have no idea Alice. Bella actually thinks she’s plain. Can you imagine?” Rose answered incredulously while shaking her head.

Thankfully, my bladder gave me a convenient excuse to leave the room. “Excuse me, I’ll be right back.” I made a quick exit toward the nearest bathroom. If I could have, I’d have run across the hall to my apartment, and never come back.

Not a good idea because Rose would have hunted me down and bitch slapped into next week.

I ran cold water on a cloth, and held it on the back of my neck while trying to calm my breathing. I needed to regain my composure before going back out there.

I just wish I knew what Edward was thinking. Does he now realize I’m a complete idiot or does he want me to come to California?

After a few minutes, I was able to calm down enough to rejoin the others.

“Bella, the lasagne is delicious.” Jasper remarked as I sat back down. Everyone else was nodding and voicing their agreement. I appreciated his changing the subject away from ‘model Bella’.

“Thanks, I make my own sauce. I love to cook when I have the time.”
After the meal, and the cannolis, we all went to sit in the living room.

It was lovely in there. The only lights were from the Christmas tree and the candles that Rose and I had lit earlier.

The drapes on the floor to ceiling windows were open, exposing a breathtaking view of downtown Seattle all lit up for the holidays.

Edward made sure to sit next to me on one of the sofas.

Alice and Rose were talking fashion, while Emmett and Jasper spoke about the Seahawks’ dismal season. That left me with Edward.

“I find it curious Bella that you can easily accept compliments about your cooking, but not about your appearance.” He stated. “Alice is right though, you don‘t see yourself very clearly. You have natural beauty, a rare thing these days.”

I could feel the blush in my cheeks, but was unable to respond.

“Don’t get me wrong“ Edward continued, “I find your attitude quite refreshing. You would understand if you had to deal with the vast number of conceited, arrogant and plastic people that I have to on a daily basis.”

“Most of them don’t have any reason to be conceited. Their looks are rarely natural, and their personalities are sufficient enough to destroy the illusion of any outward beauty.”

Like the girls I see you with in the tabloids?

“Wow, is it that bad?” I asked.

“Worse. In my REAL life, not the one you see in magazines that is, I try to surround myself with those people that can work in the system, but haven’t been corrupted by it.”

“But enough of Hollywood, I don’t want to think about it during Christmas.” He smiled.

“Are you going to your father’s for the holiday?” He asked.

“Yes. Emmett, Rose and I are leaving here at about 11 tomorrow morning, and driving to Forks. We have to come back on Saturday morning though, because Emmett has a game in Wisconsin on Sunday.”

“How about you? Christmas with the parents?” I asked him.

“Yes.” He smiled broadly. “I haven’t had a Christmas at home in a couple of years.”

“Why did you come here tonight, instead of spending the evening with your Mother and Father?” I asked, a little afraid of his answer.

“Well, they had to attend a charity event tonight.”

“Oh.”

“And, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to see you again before Monday.”

Oh.

My eyes widened, and he chuckled.

“To be fair though, I’ll be staying with my parents for the next two days.”

“Why are you staying in a hotel for most of your holiday?“ I asked.

“I only stay in a hotel to keep the paps away from my parents’ home. I don’t want my fame to ruin their lives. So far it has worked.”

I decided to ask the million dollar question, and test his promise to be truthful while I was at it.

“Edward”

“Hmm?”

“Why aren’t you spending Christmas with your girlfriend?”

Edward froze, a deer in the headlights had nothing on him. The room seemed to grow quiet and all eyes were on Edward.

Rosalie had an eyebrow quirked, and the biggest smirk on her face.

Edward cleared his throat. “Suffice it to say Bella that things aren’t always what they seem. Hollywood survives by creating illusion.”

What the heck does that mean?

And that was the exact awkward moment that Alice decided it was late, and time to go home.

We all exchanged goodbye hugs, and wished each other Merry Christmas. I couldn’t tell if Edward was angry with me because of my question, but he remained distant as we said our goodbyes.

After closing the door, Rose leaned against it with her arms crossed over her chest, regarding me curiously.

“Well, well, well. It seems that our little Bella is growing up. I couldn’t believe you cornered him like that. I’m proud of you Bells!”

Emmett just shook his head and chuckled. “Hey, I really like the guy. I never got to speak with him at Jasper and Alice’s wedding. He seems really decent.”

“Except that he supposedly has a girlfriend, and goes out on the town with a slew of different women. It’s disgusting Em.” Rose was clearly still a bit angry.

“I don’t know about any of that” I challenged. “I’m just going to do my job, nothing more, nothing less.” I declared.

I actually sounded like I believed that.

Rose’s smile got bigger. “Glad to hear it. Well, off to bed with you Bells, we’ve got a long day tomorrow.”

I attempted to help her clean up the table, but she shooed me away.

“Goodnight Rose….and Emmett.” I yelled to Em who had disappeared back towards their bedroom.

“Night Bellaboo, I love you.” He called back to me.

I laughed and hugged Rose goodbye.

I set my alarm for 8am, knowing that any later and Emmett would be pounding on my door.

Just before I fell asleep, my phone chimed with an incoming text:

Bella-


Spending the evening with you brightened my holiday considerably.


-Edward

Guess he wasn’t mad after all.

---V&V---

In the morning, I was busy tossing clothes into my suitcase when there was a knock on the door. It wasn’t Emmett’s usual “shave and a haircut…”, Roger Rabbit knock.

Turns out that it was a delivery guy with a package for me.

When I opened it I was shocked to find more than two dozen tulips in every color imaginable. The enclosed card said it all.


Beautiful Bella,


Here’s hoping these make the winter a little more bearable, as you long for Spring.


E

How sweet. My gosh, that boy’s a charmer.

I looked under my sink and brought out the biggest vase I owned. I was standing there admiring my flowers when my door flew open.

“Bellaboo, I just packed a bunch of gifts in the hummer. I’m here for your suitcase. And why the HELL wasn’t your door locked?” Emmett said all that without taking a breath as he burst into my living room.

“Oh I must have forgotten to lock it after the flowers arrived.”

“Whoa.” Emmett’s eyes were bugging as he caught sight of the tulips. “Bells, um, you don’t date, so who sent those?”

The card was lying on my coffee table. I wasn’t fast enough as I lunged for it. Emmett held me back easily with one arm as he read it.

After studying it for a moment, he spoke “Okay, so, I won’t tell Rosie about this, if you let me choose the music on the ride to Forks.”

“Oh Em, you don’t fight fair. Besides she’s going to find out eventually.”

“Yes Grasshopper, I am aware. But wouldn’t it be better for her to find out AFTER Christmas, rather than BEFORE.”

I had to agree with that logic.

“Okay.” I said, defeated. Emmett grabbed my luggage along with his and Rosalie’s, from out in the hall, and literally danced toward the elevators. I watched in disbelief as he gyrated his hips while dancing to the music in his head.

If his football career failed, the boy could get a job as an exotic dancer. I’m just sayin.

I grabbed my purse, and the pies I baked for Christmas dinner, and exited my apartment, shutting and locking my door just as Rose was coming out of their place, carrying more gifts.

“No Beastie Boys!” I shouted to Emmett.

Emmett’s laugh echoed back up the hallway to us.

An hour into the ride, and I couldn’t take any more of Emmett’s music choices. I was forced to put my earbuds in.

I actually kind of enjoyed the funk music he first played, and was grooving right along with George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic. But once he started playing the Beastie Boys, and various and sundry Rap artists, I felt my nerves unraveling. No amount of begging or pleading would get him to stop.

With my earbuds firmly in place, I was listening to the soothing sounds of Snow Patrol, when I decided to text Edward.

I couldn’t thank him for the flowers with a phone call, not with my nosey family sitting nearby anyway.

Edward-


I just wanted to thank you for the flowers, they were beyond beautiful.


-Bella


After a few moments, my phone chirped back a response:

Isabella-


I’m so glad you got them before you left. The florist assured me that they would stay fresh for several days. They can never compare to your loveliness, but I tried. How is your trip?


-E

That man can melt me with a text. I really don’t know how I will survive next week.

E-


Let’s just say that Emmett is more in touch with his inner child than usual. I’ll be glad when we arrive.


-B


I realized that Rose had turned her head, and was looking in my direction.

Crap. I hope she’s not on to me.


B-


I understand. I love Alice dearly, but she too has never lost her childlike wonder….especially at Christmas.


-E


I chuckled. Rose is staring again. I am so busted.

E-


That’s a lovely way to phrase it. In Emmett’s case, it’s more like he morphs into a ‘pain in the ass’ five year old.


-B


I’m scooting over behind Rose’s seat so she can’t watch me. So far so good, make it look like I’m stretching out my legs for a nap.


B-


HaHa. Speak of the devil. Alice is calling. I have to go. Have a wonderful Christmas Bella. I’ll see you soon.


-E


She’s still watching in the side view mirror. Maybe I can pretend to mess with my ipod instead of my phone.

E-


You too. My best wishes to your family. See you after Christmas.


-B


After what seemed like forever, we finally pulled into my Dad’s driveway. Charlie was out the door before Emmett turned the engine off.

He had a look of pure joy on his face as he hugged each of us. “Merry Christmas kids. How was the drive?”

“Long.” I was still irritated about Emmett’s so-called music.

“I would rather Emmett had farted all the way here if it meant I didn’t have to listen to his lousy music.”

“Hey, that’s a stellar idea Bells. I’ll remember that for the ride home.” He replied with his cheesiest grin.

“Don’t you even think about it Emmett Swan, or your ass, and your farts, will be riding on the OUTSIDE of the hummer!” Rose had reached her limit of patience.

My Dad just laughed. He adored Rosalie. “ Emmett you need to behave, you have a game Monday. I’d hate to see Rose incapacitate you beforehand.”

The best way to describe my Dad’s house would be “comfortable”. It felt like home to me, my safe zone. Nowhere else that I had ever lived with my Mom ever felt like home. We moved so often that I never put down roots anywhere but in Forks.

“Okay kids, you know the drill. Emmett, you stay in your old room. Bella, you and Rose will bunk in yours.”

“Aw, come on Pops, Rose and I live together. Don’t you think it’s time you gave up that tired old rule?” Every year they had the same argument.

“Maybe you’re right Emmett.” Charlie said as he grabbed Rose’s left hand. “Let me see, no, I still don’t see a wedding band. I guess you are ‘shit out of luck’ again this year Emmett.” Charlie chuckled, slapped my brother on the back, and grabbed a couple of suitcases to take inside.

We followed him into the house as Emmett mumbled.

“There goes another chance to fulfill my adolescent fantasy.”

“Do I even want to know what you are talking about Emmett?” Rose asked.

“You know, every guy’s fantasy? Having sex with a hot chick in his childhood bedroom of course! And Charlie has once again cock-blocked my hopes and aspirations!” Emmett wiggled his eyebrows at her suggestively.

Rose tried to look angry, but couldn’t hold back the laughter that erupted from her lips. She yanked my brother over to the dining room doorway, under the sprig of plastic mistletoe hanging there, and landed a sloppy kiss on his lips.

“Ugh, my eyes, burning” I screamed as I ran from the room.

After Rose and I unpacked some clothes and our toiletries, I headed back downstairs and set to work in the kitchen. I had e-mailed Charlie a grocery list a few days before, and at first glance, it looked like he’d managed to get everything we needed.

I fried fish, oysters and potato fritters for our Christmas Eve dinner. I enlisted Emmett’s help shredding cabbage for slaw.

After that was all done, Rose helped me prepare some of the food for tomorrow’s dinner. As I placed the turkey in the oven to slow cook, I could hear Emmett and Dad laughing in the living room.

Must be ‘A Christmas Story’ night.

We carried trays full of fish fry into the living room just as Santa kicked Ralphie down the chute while shouting ‘You’ll shoot your eye out kid’. Dad and Emmett were in hysterics of course.

By the time the Bumpass’s dogs had devoured the turkey, forcing Ralphie and his family to go out for Chinese food, we were all fat and happy from our fish dinner.

“Okay kids, we have a couple of hours before we have to leave for midnight Mass. I’m going to go grab a shower.” Charlie said as he headed upstairs.

Rose and Emmett helped clear away the dishes before Em headed up to shower in the guest bathroom.

I brewed a pot of tea, and Rose and I sat down at the kitchen table.
I sighed as I looked around Charlie’s little kitchen.

“Holidays are still hard for you aren’t they Bells?” She asked, knowing the answer.

“I just miss her, you know? But I don’t feel bad all the time now, like I used to. The worst are holidays and birthdays.”

Rose patted my hand. “It’s the same for Emmett. I wish I could do something to help honey.”

“Oh but Rose, you already do. You’ve helped me so much. Don’t you realize that.”

“You’ve been there from the beginning. There were days I literally wanted to curl up and die. You were the one to kick me in the butt to keep me going.” I hung my head as the tears flowed. “You’re my person.”

“Why do I feel like we’re in an episode of Grey’s Anatomy?“ Rose sniffled, and giggled at the same time.

“If this is Grey’s then who am I?” I asked.

“You are definitely Meredith, and I’m Christina. No offense, but you’d never be kick-ass enough to be Christina.”

We both laughed. “I‘m serious about what I said Rose. I owe everything to you, Emmett and Dad. You gave me a life back.”

“Bella, damnit, you know how much I hate to cry!“ I looked at Rose as the tears flowed down her cheeks.

“Jesus, that’s not something you see every day.” said Emmett from the doorway. “I need to get something. Maybe we could catch them in this.” Emmett grabbed an empty coffee cup and held it under Rose’s face like he was trying to catch her tears.

“Emmett you are such an asshole!” The sound of the smack she landed on the back of Emmett’s head caused my father to come running into the kitchen with his video camera in hand.

“Rosie, can you do that again so I can catch it on film?” Dad asked with a grin.

“Gladly Charlie” The next smack was even harder.

**V&V**

“Come on bitches, we got some praying to do.”

We had just pulled into the church parking lot, and Emmett was in rare form.

“Dad, I don’t want Emmett to embarrass us again this year during Mass. He doesn’t know how to behave. He French kissed Rose during the sign of peace last year, and old Mrs. Gilbert almost had a heart attack.”

“That old busybody is always faking a heart-attack, but your sister’s right Emmett. Try to behave with some decorum this year, okay?”

“You got it Pops. No swearing, farting or frenching in church. Am I good for giving Rose a little grope?”

“Emmett are you high?” Rose asked him incredulously.

“Definitely not. You’d know if I was babe. The team has mandatory drug testing.”

“You’re hopeless.” I muttered as I exited the car.

“Bells, I blame this on the fact that he only goes to Mass once a year. If he went more often, like we do, he’d remember how to behave.” My Dad said as he walked with me to the door.

As it turned out, Emmett did behave, somewhat. In other words, he never really had the chance to act out.

About halfway through Father Pat’s insightful and touching sermon, some old drunk dude wandered into church and slid into the pew across the aisle from us.

As Father Pat reminded us all of the wonderful gifts bestowed upon us with the birth of our Lord, old drunk dude decided to “Praise Jesus” and “Praise the Lord” out loud. He started in a low murmur, then got progressively louder.

I was embarrassed for him, but also embarrassed for myself when the baboon seated to my right, also known as Emmett, began snickering. After a few minutes, to my sheer humiliation, not only Rose but even Charlie were joining in the inappropriate chuckles.

This entire family needs an intervention.

Eventually, old drunk dude fell asleep and began to snore. This set off a whole new round of laughter from my troop of idiots.

When Mass was nearly over, I noticed a frantic looking woman enter from one of the side doors. Something told me that she was here for our visitor. Her eyes searched the congregation, I waved to get her attention, and pointed to old drunk dude. She had to have been his daughter because the resemblance was uncanny. She breathed a heavy sigh of relief when she saw him.

We all watched her as she silently slid into the pew beside him, and gently placed one arm around his shoulder, holding him up into a seated position. She then held his hand with her free one. They sat like that until the end of Mass.

Father Pat’s sermon had been all about “unconditional love”, and we’d all just witnessed a perfect example of just that. A child’s love for her father, despite his addiction. Gods love for his children, despite our faults. My family’s love for a me, no matter how broken I was.

Emmett squeezed my hand, I could tell without looking at his face that he understood.

---V&V---


“Emmett, I can’t believe you did that.” We were exiting through the Church doors as I lit into my brother yet again.

“Bells, what did he do now?” Charlie and Rose were waiting outside.

“Dad, he wanted to go up with me to visit the creche. I foolishly said he could. Once we got up there, he asked what to do. I told him to just say a little prayer to baby Jesus.”

“Yeah Pops, but she didn’t like my prayer. I think Bella may be a bit of a fascist.”

“First of all Emmett, you should pray silently, then maybe everyone in there wouldn’t have heard you ask baby Jesus how it was hanging!”

I could see Charlie and Rose trying to hold back their laughter.

“Well Emmett, you almost behaved yourself this year, congratulations.” We all turned to find Father Pat standing right behind us with a big smile on his face.

“Hey Father, good to see you” Emmett said as he gave Father one of those manly half-hugs.”

“Hi Father” I said smiling as I gave him a proper hug.

“Now cut that out Bella dear, or they’ll start a rumor that I’m some kind of ladies man.” he said in his thick Irish brogue. “But seriously now, how are you doing darling?”

“I’m good Father.”

If I said great, he’d know I was lying, and ‘good’ is a lot better than I used to be.

Father Pat was one of my lifelines during the darkest days of my life, that terrible period after the death of my mother. He knew my pain as well as Charlie, Emmett and Rose did.

“Good is a step in the right direction Isabella, but always strive for better.” He studied my face as he smiled at me. “Well I need to go see what kind of damage I can do elsewhere. Happy Christmas all!” He said to the family, and walked away to greet other parishioners.

“Let’s go home kids, it’s officially Christmas morning.” Charlie took my hand, leading me to the car.

As we drove through the quiet streets toward home, I looked out the window at the sleepy little town with all its Christmas lights aglow. My thoughts drifted to Edward, and I silently wondered how he had spent his Christmas Eve. I also wondered if I had been on his mind at all this evening.

When we got home, Emmett decided he couldn’t wait until daylight to open gifts, so we flopped onto the living room sofa. Emmett, by far the most excited, sat on the floor by the Christmas tree, and distributed the gifts.

Being a broke college student, I couldn’t afford much in the way of presents for my family. I got Rose a gift certificate to her favorite spa. For Charlie I got some fishing supplies he had specifically asked for, a custom made fishing shirt, and a couple DVDs.

For Emmett, I purchased several humorous t-shirts. This created a major dilemma for him, as he tried to decide which one was the most appropriate for Christmas Day.

“Today is a special, solemn occasion folks. I believe my shirt choice should reflect my serious side, the part of me that is the “deep thinker”, if you will.” He thought for a few moments, tapping his chin with his index finger. “Drive Shaft it is my brothers!” He shouted as he fist pumped, and proceeded to pull the shirt on over his head.

My favorite gift was from Rosalie. She had chosen three photos from my Mom’s old albums, and commissioned an artist friend of hers to replicate them into larger oil paintings. Each painting measured about 10 by 13 inches in size, the canvases were framed and ready to display.

I had had a hard time looking through those photo albums. When I tried, it brought back so many painful memories of life with my Mom, and worst of all, the day she died. Thankfully, Rose had gone through them and chosen three very special shots.

My gift was a painting of Mom and Dad’s Wedding photo. It was beautiful, the artist brought out my mother’s piercing blue eyes, so much like Emmett’s, and Dad‘s brown ones, so much like mine.

They were deeply in love, and their eyes reflected their hope, albeit a vain one, for their future.

The one Rose chose for Emmett was of the entire family at one of Emmett’s pee wee football games when he was about 10 years old. Little did we all know at the time that, some day, Emmett would be living his dream of becoming a professional football player.

The one she chose for my father was by far my favorite. It was of Emmett and me. I was only a couple of months old, lying on my side, and Emmett was lying beside me, curled around me protectively. We were both sound asleep, facing one another, Emmett holding my little hand in his.

“I remember that day well.” Charlie said as he looked at it, his voice breaking. “It was Thanksgiving Day at Grandma Swan’s. You were only two months old Bells, and Emmett had just celebrated his sixth birthday.”

“You had fallen asleep, and your mother decided to put you in one of the spare bedrooms where it was quiet. She placed you on the bed and surrounded you with pillows, even though you were still too young to roll over.”

“After a while, we realized Emmett had gone missing. We searched everywhere, or at least we thought we had.”

“As it turns out, Grandma Swan, realizing that Emmett could never be parted from you for long, found you both asleep. Your Mom took the photo.” Charlie said, clearing his throat.

Emmett nodded his head. “I didn’t want Mom to put Bella in that room. I didn’t want her to wake up in a strange place and be afraid.” He said quietly “I didn’t tell anyone I was going in there, because I knew they’d stop me. I just needed to make sure she was okay, and I must have fallen asleep.”

“Ever my protector.” I said to him, with a smile.

“I try, but sometimes it’s not enough.” He said sadly.
I patted his hand, and kissed his cheek.

Turning to Rose, I said “These are beautiful paintings Rose, thank you.“ I hugged her. “You’re so thoughtful and sweet.”

“Well now that we’re done with our Oprah moment, I’d better hit the sack,”
announced Emmett. “Alone. Unless you’ve changed your mind about the sleeping arrangements Pops?” He looked at Charlie hopefully.

“Sorry to disappoint, but not gonna happen son.” Charlie grinned.

“Well, I am disappointed, but I’ll survive.” He said as he stood up and stretched.

“See you on the flipside family. My asscrack and I both wish you a Merry Christmas!” Emmett stated, and then he let rip the loudest, nastiest fart known to mankind.

Oh my hell. That stench could choke a buffalo.

“Oh jeez Em, WHAT THE HELL?” shouted Charlie, jumping up from his seat on the couch. “What are you twelve?”

“Hey don’t persecute me because of my flatulence.“ He paused, deep in thought. “But do you know what this means?” He asked, his voice rising at the end in alarm.

“What Emmett, I’m dying to hear?” Rose responded as she pinched her nose shut.

“I have to wear a different t-shirt now.” As he pulled off the Drive Shaft shirt and replaced it with:

You laugh because I’m different
I laugh because I just farted

And for that he earned another swat on the back of the head, courtesy of Rosalie.

I was beyond exhausted when Rose and I made our way up to my room.
“G’nite Rosie.” I mumbled.

To which she replied something that sounded like goodnight, but I was asleep before my brain could register it.


No comments:

Post a Comment